Nintendo 3DS - Midnight Purple
Solid, beautiful piece of hardware
I wish they had the purple in display on the shop - the color is just stunning! Much, much cooler than it looked on the box. No regrets in getting the 3DS over the 3DS XL; I'm a girl, and the regular sized 3DS sometimes has trouble fitting into my rather small pockets. I haven't wished once that I wanted a bigger screen, and the 3DS feels good in my hands as far as weight and overall size is concerned. It comes with everything "essential" - stylus, system, charging cable (NOT a dock), 6 augmented reality cards, and a 2 GB SD card. In fact, the only accessory I picked up day one was a case from the used bargain bin, and I'm pretty sure all but your most form-fitting DS cases will happily accommodate the 3DS. All in all, I'm really satisfied with it.
Pros and Cons (from a skeptical gamer)
When I first heard about the 3DS, I didn't approve of it. I loved my blue and black DS Lite to the point where I basically shunned every other DS that came out. When I heard about Animal Crossing New Leaf, I figured it was time to buy the 3DS. When I got it (My Midnight Purple 3DS), it took me a few days to open it the package and turn it on. When I finally did, it took me a few hours to get use to it and I was still skeptical... but now its the best thing I ever bought!
The only problem I had was the circle pad. When I pushed up on it, the circle pad would work fine.. It would return to the center like it is supposed to, but, in the game, my character would keep moving up. I finally went into settings and found that not only can you calibrate the screen, but you can calibrate the circle pad. After doing this, the circle pad works perfect (So if this happens to you, don't worry.. Its just not calibrated right. You can fix it in the settings).
The 3DS has a feature called streetpass and I love it. You put the DS into sleep mode and walk around with it. If you pass anyone with a 3DS, it will exchange your miis. I find this feature very amusing because I will put it in my locker at work and (after my shift is over) I'll end up with 2-5 new streetpass notifications. I will do this at college as well, I will walk around campus and pick up 5-10 people.
It makes me realize that I have been missing out on A LOT and I'm not the only one that has a 3DS :)
- The graphics are amazing for 3DS games
- You can pause in the middle of a game and return to the home screen
- It has power-saving mode
- You can customize the home screen
- You can choose to have the 3D feature on/off
- Many 3DS colors to choose from
- You can add friends in the home screen
- The small light below the 3D slider blinks to inform you on different things (Red (blinking non-stop) for extremely low battery, Green for streetpass notification, Blue for Nintendo Notification, Red/Orange (Blinking only a few times) for a friend that is online)
- You can download some games and demos from the store
- The SD card that is in the slot on the side saves your games, pictures, etc.
- The SD card can be removed and replaced with a SD with more memory
- Built in pedometer (When you walk around, you gain play coins which can be used in some games (For example, a fortune cookie in Animal Crossing New Leaf costs 2 play coins.. Which is equal to 200 steps. You get rare things from the fortune cookie)
- Can calibrate Circle Pad and Screen in Settings
- ABXY buttons now have a satisfactory 'click' to them when you press them
- Each icon in the home screen has a different sound when you hover over it (For example: Harvest Moon 3D, the tale of two town has a cow 'mooing' when you hover over it, while Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has the LoZ theme play)
- It has a metal telescoping stylus (I had to buy many styluses for my DS Lite because they would eventually fall out of its holder and it would last me maybe a month before it would fall out. I've had my 3DS for 3 months now and the stylus still hasn't come loose or fallen out)
- It has parent controls
- Swapnote lets you send messages to your added friends
- Original DS games can be played, but they are a bit fuzzy.
- The stylus is in an odd place... Its where the original DS had the stylus. It can get annoying but you learn to get use to it (I would advise to stick to the metal stylus, the plastic colorful ones break real easily and the bend in the middle... Its like trying to color with a broken crayon)
- It takes a good 3-5 seconds for the 3DS to turn off and on
- The battery lasts only 6-10 hours (It depends on how much you use the 3D feature, how high the light is and if power-saving mode is on). But this can be easily solved by plugging it in every night, before you go to bed (I only had it die on me once and that was because I was testing how long it would take for it to die and how it would notify the user).
- 3D mode is great, but you have to find the right place for you. My place is where the slider is somewhere near the bottom and I'm looking straight on.. My friend is different. He has the slider almost to the top and he looks at it in an angle.
- If you play with the 3D mode on for a long amount of time, you will get a headache or get motion sickness.
- Games are a little more expensive
- The price is high for a 3DS... But its well worth it
*I can't list every Pro that the 3DS has because there are too many!
I was a very skeptical person towards the 3DS, but now I see that it is very fun and very amusing. I wish I bought one sooner, but I'm glad that I got this one... Purple is my favorite color as well. :)
I HIGHLY recommend getting one :)
I Bought This For My Self Because Of Me Wanting To Try Dark Moon And Other 3DS Games I Always Wondered What If Nintendo Made A Purple Ds Well This Was My All Time Fave Because Its My Fave Color Purple
I PLAY this more then my ps3 and black ops2. i only play pokemon on it if you got a ps3 look me up on ps#
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the 3ds is the best gaming system i have ever played on!!!it is fun and you can do many epic things on it. i love face raiders and the AR cards!!
I love my 3DS, and I think this color is awesome. The system has some amazing games, and a ton more are coming soon. It has great battery life, great graphics, big sound, a bunch of downloadable games. The only thing I don't like is the D-pad, it makes a weird squeaky noise if pressed a little too hard. Other than that tiny detail, I would recommend this portable to anyone.
I have had this system for a couple months now, and absolutely love it! The Midnight Purple color is absolute eye candy, and the games are even better. The 3D effects are very good at times, but if you have the 3D on for too long, it can strain your eyes. With this, try to not look at the screen from an angle; it'll be very blurry. Also, you will notice that the black part around the top screen can tend to become littered with finger prints very easily. Other than those two things, I have nothing negative to say. I HIGHLY recommend this if you're a Nintendo fan and like the color!
I had wanted a 3ds for quite some time now and when I caught wind of a purple one coming out I automatically knew I had to get it. I preordered it a day before GameStop started selling it and picked it up early the next morning. Taking it out of the box was so cool because the color on this thing is GORGEOUS. Like most 3ds's it has three different shades of the color, the darkest being on top. The 3d graphics are overall great (especially on Legend of Zelda), although I found myself only turning the 3d on during cut scenes. All in all, a GREAT buy.
good for nintindo players
This is a good system if you are a nintindo player, and are in to games like super mario bros. But if you have a ps3 and are in to games like call of duty and fifa soccer i recommend a ps vita. The 3D graphics give you a head ach. It is an avarge game system but the ps vita is by far better.
I have been waiting a while to get this and the wait was well worth it this is the best handheld gaming device in my opinion and it looks so nice in midnight purple.