Dragon Age 2
I didn't know what I was in for when I started this game. I absolutely love the story and the characters. Speech is limited yes but it's still enjoyable nonetheless. I don't know what people have against this game. The word exchange between your companions when your adventuring are enjoyable. Overall I give this game a 9.5 out of 10.
Very much underrated
While this game was not nearly as good as its predecessor, Dragon Age: Origins, it is still a good game worth buying. The game is of decent length, and it took me a week if I did all the side quests. The combat is top notch, and it is one of the few elements that surpasses Origins. Its issues are that it is shorter than Origins, its story is shallow, and your choices really don't matter as much as you'd expect. However, for the $20 this game is now selling for, it's still a heck of a lot better than any generic shooter.
Enjoyed it despite many grievances
Now I LOVED the first game and was very excited about the second one despite a sense of being very unsure since it felt too soon for a sequel. And it seems I was right in feeling unsure. I'll try not to ramble too much, so i'll do a quick Pros and Cons type thing to keep myself from doing so. But overall they seemed to have sacrificed a story for a decent improvement in combat:
- Some of the graphics during combat, primarily with Mages (ex: effects of primal spells such as fire and ice spells)
- Voice acting was top notch! Especially Varric and Fenris :)
- The characters personalities were also great.
- The bantering/conversations between party members while running around in-game was most definitely one of the best parts of the game.
- Some of the boss-like enemies were very fun and challenging to fight, especially the High Dragon :)
- The story, where was the story! I can understand if they were trying to go for the whole "Start as a nobody and become a great somebody" type story, but it didnt feel like I was achieving anything.
- No real antagonist until the VERY last hour or two of the game. In the first game your whole mission from beginning to end was the destroy the Archdemon, so there was a main villain and main goal in sight the whole time (and the final boss battle felt very satisfying when completed). In this sequel you dont discover any real main antagonist until the last chapter, and even then they felt like any other "mini-boss" of sorts that you come across in the game. The final bosses of this game were quite easy and felt very unsatisfying to beat.
- Enemies spawning out of thin air. It did, at times, get quite tiresome to constantly battle random enemies in the streets or caves with no real reason behind why they hated you in the first place. But the main thing that bothered me was that after every group of baddies you beat another group would spawn out of thin air, sometimes even just feet away from you. It just felt so sloppy and not well done. I wouldve been way more convinced if they spawned them around a corner or to come walking out of doors or something!
- All armor you picked up could only be used for YOUR character, so you couldnt customize your companions armor. the only way you could "upgrade" your characters armor is by shopping around and finding some under the "Gift" section of any shop. But even then they had no stats behind them. I just felt very underwhelmed as a RPG gamer to not be able to customize party members like I could in the old game :/
- Recycled Areas. Theres only about 15 caves/areas (give or take) in this game, and they are CONSTANTLY recycled for soooo many quests. Basically they would block off certain areas in the same cave for later quests to try to conceal the fact that they are recycling it all. Compared to the first game the amount of areas and cities to explore is an absolute joke in this game.
Theres probably a few other things I couldnt think of. But overall the characters are the main reason I love this game. The combat is decently improved and one of two of the mini-bosses are VERY fun to fight. But it lacks any real story or main antagonist throughout the whole game which is very very unfortunate. I feel like an 8 might be TOO much to give because of the HUGE lack in story, but I cant help but admit I did enjoy the game enough lol
Good, but certainly not great.
I bought this game expecting another Dragon Age Origins, which is probably my mistake, but considering how amazing the first game was this one is definitely not up there with it. It was fun, the graphics are fantastic, the voice, sound etc is also. However, the game play is what's lacking in my opinion. It's fun the first two times (and during the second time you only really do it to see ALL the story options available) but after that it gets pretty repetitive and you don't even want to bother playing again because you hate certain story parts of the game you don't feel like putting yourself through it once more. But for a sequel (which I normally refuse to buy because they're never good) it was overall pretty fun.
Great but looked down upon
overall it's a great game, many compare it to the first which was just outstanding. This leads to making this game very under rated but it's awesome, the only thing i disliked was the amount of times you had to travel to a different location and began to detest the loading screen.
If u dont give it a 10 i will
I will admit it took a few minutes to get over not having my guy from DAO. But I fell for Hawke and his story 100%. I really liked this game. I just hope they make another one. Great story.
It could've been better.
BioWare extremely disappointed me with this sequel, the overused dungeons, hardly any exploration, only allowing you to be a human. But there were good things, the combat was a tad bit more exciting in this one, the story was good, it was just short. I would only buy this game if you were die hard, and I mean, die hard about this franchise, maybe only rent it to save money.
Good but not Great
This game is okay for a little bit but gets boring after a while. I stopped playing this game when I bought Skyrim on the PS3. They could have made this game so much better. Dragon Age Origins was somewhat better than this one, except for the graphics. They took out all of the exploration on this one, and it is a pretty linear. The areas you do get to explore are small and reused over and over again. My opinion is for the low price it's a good buy after you beat all the better RPG's out there. Maybe someday I will come back to this game but probably not.
Don't you love it :D
In my opinion this game is awesome. The fighting is great and the skills that you can use are pretty good. I also like the story line well to me it was great. Overall great game.
A great sequal
Great graphics, voice cast, and revamped battle system. The developers took everything that the players said they missed in the 1st game. Lots of missions and side-quests to do. Visually stunning.